Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why 'The Root Connection'?



Since I was a little girl, I had this love affair with anything fiber. The look, feel, textures and colors of textiles brought a certain kind of joy that is indescribable.

Growing up as a teenager, my mother and sisters put their trust in me to shop for them for any and all occasions. I loved putting an entire outfit together for each one of us. I am very grateful to all of them for allowing me to be their personal shopper.

After high school while standing at the crossroads I decided to pursue a degree in graphic design. As much as I enjoyed the art school, graphic design was never really the thing for me! Some 15 years later, I rediscovered fabrics, fibers and colors and started making soft sculptured dolls and quilts.

I love making quilts, drawing birds and houses. I am happiest when I am creating or involved in the process. I am lucky enough to inherit my father's love for gardening and my mother's love for cooking. These days, without a doubt, I am choosing quilting above anything and everything to nourish my soul!

When I am sketching or dreaming of an idea, I am breathing.
When I am selecting colors and textures I feel like a child in a candy store!
When I am creating, I feel connected to my roots.

And so, this is 'The Root Connection'. Welcome to my blog!

-Sujata


6 comments:

  1. I can testify that you are a creative quilter. I've been inspired by you and learned to trust my instincts by watching you. It was nice talking with you this morning. Best wishes with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a friend of Helen's and an admirer of you beautiful work! I look forward to visiting your blog often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's obvious that you have talent, and a way with words! Looking forward to visiting your blog often!

    PS. I majored in Graphic Arts as well, but never had a desire to actually pursue it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be wonderful to see your quilts as a group. Thank you for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey the quilts are too beautiful but more imp is the colours you always had a taste for warm and bright colours. your writing is toooo good
    the birds i remember your letterheads the one with birds looking forward to meet you often on the blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rashmi, It is funny that you mentioned the birds, I guess they go long back to my childhood. Just like good friends!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Enter to Win Bernina 455 QE Kaffe Edition

Hey everyone! It has been a while! I have to share some great news! I have some great giveaway announcement!     Alex and Ricky at TheQuiltS...